Old drafty windows are not only a nuisance; they can also significantly affect the energy efficiency of your home. According to estimates from the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), your windows account for as much as 40% of your annual heating and cooling costs. Ca-ching! That is money out of your pocket. Fortunately, you can fight back and ensure you are not spending more on your monthly energy bills than you need to. And consider the average home has 22 windows, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), fixing drafts could have a BIG impact on your home.
Dealing with Old Drafty Windows
Locate the Leak
Here is a quick and easy way to locate leaks.
- Walk through your home and close all of your windows, ensuring they are as tight as possible.
- Light a candle and hold it near each window, inches from the glass. Slowly move the candle around the frame. If the flame bends or flickers while your hand is still, you probably just found an air leak (draft).
Fix the Leak
There are several quick and easy (and cheap) ways to fix, or at least minimize, window drafts.
- Weather Stripping: This quick and affordable solution can help create a tighter seal when your windows are closed. Draft snakes can have a similar effect.
- Caulking: If the source of the draft is coming from around your windows, consider caulking.
- Window Treatments: The right window treatments can help insulate your windows.
- Replacement Windows: Of course, the best way to fix old drafty windows is to replace them completely. Energy Star-rated windows can lower your energy bills by 7% to 15% monthly. And while replacement windows are costly, they have a high return on investment (ROI): 79%.
Replacement Windows from Architectural Window Supply
For the past 20 years Architectural Window Supply has been the go-to choice for Maryland homeowners, builders, and architects who need personalized, knowledgeable service. When you come to us for information and guidance, we’ll make sure you get what you need. We have a wide selection of window options available that are sure to work with any budget.
If you have any questions about Replacement Windows, or wish to schedule a free consultation, please contact Architectural Window Supply by calling 410-266-5254 or visit our website! You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter as well!