A home’s windows play a crucial role in its overall safety and thus the safety of you and your family. In the case of emergency, your windows provide you with a much needed escape route. Still, certain windows are not designed to be opened. Because of this, you must take measures to prevent window falls.
Window Safety Measures
- Be sure windows are locked when children are around.
- Insect screens are not designed to prevent falls. They will not hold a person’s weight, so do not lean on them.
- Keep furniture and anything else children can climb away from windows.
- Teach children proper window safety.
- Look into the New JELD-WEN Window Opening Control Devices (WOCD)
JELD-WEN’s WOCDs now include more styles of windows than ever before. This means you now have more options to improve window fall prevention. Other benefits of these devices include:
- Homeowners now have the ability to automatically control the window opening to help prevent accidental falls and to meet egress codes that require windows to meet safety standards for providing emergency exits in certain rooms, such as bedrooms.
- The WOCD features a manual override mechanism for emergency escape and rescue.
- The device automatically resets after the sash is fully closed.
- Meets the ASTM F 2090 standard as referenced in the 2006 and 2009 International Building Code (IBC), and International Residential Code (IRC).
If you have any further questions about Home Safety and Window Opening Control Devices or wish to schedule a free consultation, please contact Architectural Window Supply by calling 410-266-5254 or visit our website!
About Architectural Window Supply:
Since 1995, Architectural Window Supply, Inc. has been the premier supplier of custom wood windows and doors in the Baltimore/Washington area. We offer a vast array of custom window and door options that give a stylish, sophisticated look to any residential home or commercial building.
Our product offerings include the most trusted names in window and doors including Jeld-Wen, Norwood, Belisle, and Atlantic Shutters. We base our business on the principles of courtesy, quality and service as well as a solid knowledge of our products.