Along with all of the advantages of wood doors – aesthetic appeal, affordability, ease of repair, etc. – come a few drawbacks, including maintenance. But do not let the occasional preventative maintenance task keep you from enjoying the many benefits of wood doors.
And of all the preventative measures you can take, perhaps none is as important as sealing.
Wood door sealing takes very little effort and time and can greatly increase the life of your door. By sealing your wood door, you can avoid unnecessary repairs and the premature replacement of your door because of rot and decay.
The Basics of Wood Door Sealing
- Tools: You will need several tools, including brushes, sandpaper, tack cloth, drop cloth, foam brush, polyurethane, old clothes, screwdriver, and sawhorses.
- Preparation: Sand the wood door until the surface is smooth. Use coarse sandpaper to remove large chunks of wood fiber and then use a finer sandpaper to reach your desired smoothness.
- Seal: Using your brush, completely cover the wood door with the sealer, being sure to cover and protect the tiny holes that can be the cause of the large problems in the future.
- Stain/Paint: Once the sealer is applied, you are free to stain or paint your wood door.
- Seal: Apply a polyurethane sealer to your wood door to seal the finished product.
If you have any further questions about Wood Door Sealing or wish to schedule a free consultation, please contact Architectural Window Supply by calling 410-266-5254 or visit our website!
About Architectural Window Supply:
Since 1995, Architectural Window Supply, Inc. has been the premier supplier of custom wood windows and doors in the Baltimore/Washington area. We offer a vast array of custom window and door options that give a stylish, sophisticated look to any residential home or commercial building.
Our product offerings include the most trusted names in window and doors including Jeld-Wen, Norwood, Belisle, and Atlantic Shutters. We base our business on the principles of courtesy, quality and service as well as a solid knowledge of our products.